The future Boscov's department store at the Ohio Valley Mall plans to help local nonprofit groups by giving shoppers a peak inside the store before its official opening day.
Those who purchase a $5 ticket can enter the store during the Gala Preview for a Great Cause event, slated 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 10. Tickets can be purchased from participating nonprofits or at the door on the day of the event.
''All non-profits are invited to participate as long as they have a 501c or 170c1 status,'' said Esta Neugroschel, Boscov's spokeswoman.
Photo by Shelley Hanson
Ohio Valley Mall patrons on Monday walk past a barrier advertising the coming of Boscov’s department store.
She noted a grand opening date has not been set.
One participating group is Crittenton Services of Wheeling. Crittenton spokeswoman Stacy Rich said all ticket profits go directly to Crittenton or the nonprofit of one's choice. She noted Boscov's recently held a luncheon to explain the program to local nonprofits.
''The more tickets we sell, the more money comes back to us,'' she said.
- Alyson's Angels Inc., Wheeling
- American Legion Post 168
- Apostolic Pentecostal Church
- Augusta Levy Learning Center
- Belco Works Inc.
- Bellaire Eagles 371
- Belmont County Animal Rescue League
- Bishop Donahue High School
- Bridgeport Christian Friendship Council
- Bridgeport First Church of God
- Cameron Elementary School
- Children's Home of Wheeling
- Crossroads Counseling Services
- Delta Kappa Gamma, Wheeling
- East Richland Friends Church
- East Richland Christian Schools
- Epworth Center, Bethesda
- Faith in Action Caregivers Inc.
- Greater Wheeling Coalition for the Homeless Inc.
- Harmony House
- King's Daughters Child Care Center Inc.
- Kiwanis Club of Wellsburg
- Martins Ferry Middle School Student Council
- Mount Olivet Lions Club
- Near Earth Object Foundation
- Neffs American Legion Post 77
- Ohio County SPCA
- Ohio University Eastern
- Ohio Valley Medical Center
- Ohio Valley Mudcats
- Our Lady of Peace Knights of Columbus Auxiliary
- Powhatan Elementary
- Promised Land Compassionate Ministry Center
- Russell Nesbitt Services Inc.
- Salvation Army, Bellaire
- Sigma Theta Tau-Wheeling Jesuit University
- St. Johns Church, Bellaire
- St. Mary Central School, Martins Ferry
- Triadelphia Volunteer Fire Department
- Wheeling Area Training Center for Handicapped
- West Liberty Lions Club
- Wheeling Health Right
- Wheeling Bowling Association-United States Bowling Congress
- Union Local School District
- United Way of the Upper Ohio Valley
- Valley Ventures, Inc.
- YWCA Wheeling
- Zane's Trace Chapter National Society Daughters of The American Revolution
On the day of the event, the nonprofit that sells the most tickets also will receive a $1,500 bonus; the second most tickets, $1,000; and third most, $500.
''This is a great way for them to give back to the community even before the store opens,'' Rich said.
To purchase tickets from Crittenton, call Rich at 304-242-7060, ext. 133. Crittenton is a behavioral health agency that serves women and children across West Virginia. It offers a residential program for girls 12-18 years old and a maternity care facility. Crittenton also serves girls who are victims of abuse, neglect, sexual assault and those who are battling drug addictions or depression.