Linda Bachand-Doucet of Pawtucket, R.I., entered the Boston Marathon with two pals who were hoping to earn membership in a group for avid runners of 26.2-mile races.
They were about 5 miles from the finish when one of her friends got a cellphone call from his mother, up ahead in the stands: There had been an explosion. The trio couldn't complete the race.
Yet Bachand-Doucet says she and plenty of other marathoners are determined not to run away from an event and a distance they love, no matter what fears might have been raised by Monday's bombing.
"This won't prevent me from running. I have marathons (scheduled) for every weekend now until the middle of the summer," said the 44-year-old Bachand-Doucet, a detective in the major crimes unit of the Pawtucket Police Department.
Then, with half a chuckle, she added: "I may get another life insurance policy."
She and other runners are already marking their calendars, eager to get back on the road, step by step. For Bachand-Doucet, that includes the Oz Marathon in Olathe, Kan., on Saturday, the Big Sur International Marathon in Carmel, Calif., on April 28, the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati on May 5.
And, looking way ahead, the Boston Marathon on April 21, 2014.
"Without a doubt I will absolutely be there!!!!" Bachand-Doucet wrote in an email to the AP on Wednesday.
Noting that it's difficult to know for sure how many people share those feelings, former Boston Marathon race director Guy Morse wrote in a text to the AP: "It is my sense from those with whom I have spoken or otherwise heard from, there seems to be an almost universal desire to support and come back to Boston, no question."
Ernesto Burden, a 42-year-old from Manchester, N.H., finished in under three hours Monday, but couldn't truly celebrate that achievement.
He's eager to return.
"I'll register on Day 1," he said.
Stacy Wingard, a 42-year-old who lives outside Seattle, Wash., ran her 10th marathon Monday, her first in Boston, and was timed in 3 hours, 29 minutes, 50 seconds. But because of about a half-hour lag at the start, she said she was only a few blocks away when two bombs went off near the finish line, killing three people and injuring more than 170.
Wingard said Monday's bombing will not affect her decisions about entering future races, including Boston - and she's heard the same from other runners in emails and Facebook messages.
"I qualified to come back next year," Wingard said, adding: "I'll come back next year."
That kind of determination is part of the very essence of distance running - the will to keep pushing. And it will play a role in how people respond to the Boston attack, according to Scott Dickey, CEO of Competitor Group Inc., which manages more than 35 marathons and half marathons around the world.