BEALLSVILLE - With the Paul Kanzigg era getting off to a slow start in Blue Devils country, the last thing Beallsville may need is to see a mad Bishop Donahue team, coming off its first loss making the long, winding trip into Monroe County.
But that is what's on the agenda Friday night at 7 when Coach John Durdines and his 1-1 Bishops travel to Beallsville looking to bounce back from a 21-7 loss to visiting Clay-Battelle a week ago.
Kanzigg, in his first year at the helm after taking over for veteran Dave Caldwell, has watched his Blue Devils get off to an 0-2 start and cannot afford to dig itself an even bigger hole.
"Tackling on defense has been our main concern, we seem to have people in the right places, we just can't get the job done," Kanzigg said. "We have thrown the ball well on offense, ran it alright and our young offensive line is settling in. I just hope we can get everything together soon."
While Beallsville dropped a hard-to-swallow 41-34 decision at Strasburg last Friday, the Devils have had some success against Donahue. Since the two began playing in 2006, Beallsville has won five of six meetings, including a 30-14 decision last year in Moundsville.
The Blue Devils have had no problems racking up yardage on offense behind the leadership of four-year starting quarterback Teryn Jarrett. The strong-armed Jarrett has completed 38 of 73 attempts for 515 yards and five touchdowns in just two games.
He has a three-headed monster in the receiving corps led by D.J. Lucas (9-258-2td), Mikey Palmer (10-105-2) and Drew Tombaugh (12-122), who is also the team's leading rush with 122 stripes and a six-pointer.
The biggest problem has been a defense that has allowed 636 rushing yards and eight infantry touchdowns already.
"They have a four-year starter at quarterback in (Teryn) Jarrett and he is a leader," Durdines said. "I know they have gotten out of the gates a little slow, but they are still a quality club.
"There are plenty of skill position players over they and we always get into a dog fight ever time we travel out there. The bottom line is that when you play against a quarterback like that, you had better bring your "A" game."
Donahue has also had issues on defense while racking up yardage on offense. The Bishops have posted 616 total yards of offense in two games, however, they have allowed 615 to even things out.
Durdines' squad actually held a 7-6 halftime lead against the Cee-Bees, only to get outscored 14-0 over the final 24 minutes.
"Our defense really isn't that bad," Durdines added. "About 90 percent of the time we have played real well, and the right way, but it is the breakdowns we have during the other 10 percent that gets us.
"We are a younger team and we just seem to lose focus. In the first week we made some mistakes that we were able to make up for, but last week our mistakes cost us and we could not overcome them.
"This defense, and this team, has the ability to be very good, but we have to be able to bring it all the time, not just once in awhile."
Jesse Padlow is the quarterback and has thrown for 273 yards and a score while Jordan Bonar is the leading rusher with 156 yards. Lavonte Hampton has 10 receptions for 115 stripes.
"Bishop Donahue is a well-balanced football team that can run or pass the ball equally," Kanzigg said.
"They are just solid all the way around."