Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS

Redskins Spoil The Opener

Weir blasted in first game at new stadium

August 25, 2012
By RALPH COX , The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register

WEIRTON - Indian Creek spoiled the grand opening of the new Jimmy Carey Stadium for Weir High by scoring 40 unanswered first-half points and easing to a convincing 52-12 victory against the Red Riders on Friday night.

Five players scored for the Redskins while they piled up a 442 yards - 403 of them on the ground hitting paydirt with runs of 76, 44, 65, 56, 8, 7 and 3 yards along with an 80-yard punt return.

''The kids were focused and we came out with a good, fast start,'' Indian Creek coach Andrew Connor said.

The game was less than three minutes old when the Redskins got on the board with a 3-yard keeper around the right side by senior quarterback Alex Young. Senior Logan Woods set up the score with a 60-yard return of the opening kickoff that gave his Redskins good field position at the Red Riders 25 to start the game.

''Alex did a great job running the offense for us,'' Connor said. ''He is a very versatile athlete and we try to get the ball in his hands as often as possible.''

Two possessions later, Weir put on a drive of its own after senior Austin Wolverton stopped Young for a 19-yard loss when the ball was snapped over Young's head in punt formation. That set up the Red Riders at the Indian Creek 28.

The Red Riders drove to the Redskins 11 with a first down, but on fourth down sophomore quarterback William Larch, who had a big night rushing the football, hit Matt Barnes in the flat with a pass, but Barnes was brought down on the Indian Creek 3 a couple yards short of the first down.

''The early drive when we stalled at the 3, hurt us, and it wasn't like they pushed us all over the field, but we just totally collapsed,'' Weir coach Tony Filberto said. "We just made so many mistakes. You know when you get into opportunities, you have to finish. They weren't finishers (Friday), ever."

It didn't take long for the Redskins to get out of the hole. Woods ran for 2 yards and junior Blake Roar added 21 more to the Indian Creek 26. Senior Darren Gribble lost 2 yards on a run, but Woods took the handoff from Young at his own 24 and found daylight down the right sideline. His 76-yard scamper and Beatty's kick gave the Redskins a 14-0 advantage with 1:02 left in the opening quarter.

Larch, who because of an injury quarterbacked the Red Riders in slightly more than two full games last year as a freshman had a pass intercepted by Frank Kamarec on Weir's next possession. On the first play after that, Young rolled to his right looking to pass, but instead tucked the ball under his arm and raced 56 yards to the end zone as the first period clock ran out to go up 21-0.

''A lot of things happened,'' Filberto said. ''I wish I could pinpoint one, but I saw at least 10 major mistakes that turned into six touchdowns. At least the mistakes are correctable; we just have to decide which ones we want to work on first.''

Young got back into the scoring act in the second quarter when he fielded a Larch punt at his 20, cut diagonally across the field and dashed up the right sideline to the end zone and the Redskins had a 27-0 lead halfway through the second quarter.

Weir High turned the ball over again on its next possession when Redskin junior Tyler Lathem pounced on a fumble deep in Red Rider territory.

Indian Creek drove 32 yards in five plays with Roar going over left tackle from 8 yards out for the score. Beatty got back on track with the kick giving the Redskins a 33-0 lead.

Indian Creek led 40-0 at halftime and 46-0 before Weir scored.

Nine Indian Creek players carried the ball in the game. Roar finished with 80 yards and two touchdowns while Woods gained 54 yards and Huynh, who did most of his damage in the second half, led the way with 126 yards on five carries while scoring two touchdowns.

Larch led all rushers in the game with 220 yards. His 25-yard run set up Weir's first touchdown, an 18-yard run by senior running back Eric Piatt.

I am looking for: