| || |
What's wrong with this picture?
November 13, 2008 - Betsy Bethel
OK, maybe it's me, but I've been noticing a lot of things around the Ohio Valley that just don't make any sense. Time for a gripe session!
1. I spotted a brand new electronic billboard right behind the Sunoco at Aetna Street and Ohio 7. Great, another thing to distract drivers at one of the most dangerous intersections in the state!
2. The former site of Elm Middle School in Martins Ferry has been purchased by a local couple who have placed a No Trespassing sign on all that lovely green space that kids could be using to get some exercise. Why not let them play there while you decide what you're going to do with it? I understand we live in a litigious society, but it's really such a waste.
3. The holiday story time display at the Ohio Valley Mall until yesterday was situated so that as children sat facing the reader, they could see great big boobs falling out of push-up bras on the giant poster window display at Victoria's Secret. To the mall's credit, they changed the display yesterday. It is still near Vicky's, but the children at least will be facing Waldenbooks now.
4. The nicest playground in Martins Ferry is at the Jaycee Manor public housing apartments. Don't the homeowners in the city also deserve a nice place for their children to play? I would be interested in helping to organize a community build in Ferry (like they did in St. C) if anyone knows how to get it started!
5. It is such a pain never to know when 14th Street between Market and Main is going to be closed because of the work on the skywalk between WesBanco and the Central Union Building. Good news, though: Bank officials told me today that the work is completed except for the hanging of the sign.
6. We live in an age when 55 percent of moms with young children work, yet I found out this week that my daughter's nonprofit child care center in Wheeling has to raise 40 percent of its budget every year through donations and fundraisers.
No comments posted for this article.
Post a Comment